Self-Determination and Student-Directed Transition Planning
- The AIR assessments measure two broad components. Capacity refers to the student's knowledge, abilities, and perceptions that enable them to be self-determined. Opportunity refers to the student's chances to use their knowledge and abilities. The AIR Self-Determination Scale is available to use, free of charge.
- This topic explores how self-determination, which results from the development of self-esteem, self-awareness, and other positive learning skills, helps children and teens learn to exercise personal control over their lives.
Student-led IEP Template
- Lessons are designed to take the student through a process of gathering information from key members of the transition planning team. The process initiates a dialogue between the student, family members, and the teacher on issues regarding employment, postsecondary education and living arrangements for the student.
- Use this PowerPoint template to help your students design a presentation that will help them lead their IEP meeting!
- The Procedural Guidelines For The Arc’s Self-Determination Scale provides administration and scoring information for this 72-item assessment of self-determination for adolescents with disabilities. This manual provides a comprehensive discussion of self-determination and outlines use of the measure in research and applied settings.