2013/14 Process Overview
Supervisor Individual responsible for the work performance of staff member(s). Performance Evaluation Process-Specific Responsibilities: Preparation, Writing Evaluations, Evaluation Meeting, and Final Evaluation.
Next Level Reviewer Manager one level up from the evaluating supervisor. Responsible for providing evaluating supervisor with appropriate coaching and oversight in evaluating his/her staff. Performance Evaluation Process-Specific Responsibilities: Preparation, Next Level Review
Division Leader Dean, Division Vice President. Responsible division-level staff evaluation process and pay decisions in accordance with university guidelines. Performance Evaluation Process-Specific Responsibilities: Preparation, Division Approval
Division Point-Person Individual designated by Division Leader to collect and record division staff evaluation and pay information. Performance Evaluation Process-Specific Responsibilities: Division Approval, Final Evaluation
1. Preparation Pre-Evaluation Meetings
Next Level Reviewer meets with Supervisor
Supervisor meets with Staff Member
- Discuss benefits of investing time in the annual appraisal process.
- Clarify expectations and objectives for the 2013 performance evaluation process. Discuss and determine ways to address concerns with the process.
- Review Performance Evaluation Process Timeline
- Set specific completion dates for Next Level Review of Draft Evaluation.
2. Write Evaluations
Make time - schedule time in your calendar to write evaluations.
- Focus on one employee at a time.
- Review the recent Position Description, plus work projects and goals assigned during the evaluation period.
- Consider and use appropriately any of the employee's examples provided from his/her submitted Self Evaluation Questionnaire.
- Write your initial draft by assessing performance results against established expectations and provide supporting examples to clarify the assessment of performance.
- Read and respond to the descriptions outlined in the Staff Performance Evaluation Form to guide what you write.
- Then… invest quality time to review your initial draft evaluations and make appropriate changes.
- Look for balance - recognition for accomplishments, provide feedback for development of specific areas.
- Seek guidance from your next level manager.
Visit the HR website, attend a training session or meet with your HR representative for additional information and support.
3. Next Level Review
Share your draft performance evaluation with your manager his/her input. This provides an opportunity for you to talk with your manager about individual staff members! It's a wonderful opportunity to gain other person's perspective and discuss approaches to effectively managing your team.
Next Level Reviewer Initials the Performance Evaluation Form indicating they have reviewed with the Supervisor.
Talent Discussions (Recommended)
Leaders strongly encouraged to engage their management teams in talent discussions focused on the following:
- Common Goals – priorities for FY15
- Employee Development Plans - building capability/capacity, employee engagement
- Performance Expectations and Evaluation - assessment and rating consistency
5. Division Approval
Division Point Person will collect and record Overall Ratings from supervisors. Once the overall ratings for the division are recorded, the Division Leader will:
- Review for intra-division consistency.
- Communicate approval for supervisors to share performance evaluations with staff.
A Next Level Review and Division Approval are required prior to a supervisor sharing the evaluation with their staff member. These two steps provide essential checks and balances to promote equity, supervisor accountability and process integrity.
6. Evaluation Meeting
Schedule a time with each person to discuss performance over the past year and plans for next year.
- Send your staff member a copy of the evaluation you prepared in advance so they can review and prepare for the meeting.
- Use the Evaluation Meeting Checklist to prepare yourself and your employee for the conversation.
- Determine how you would like to establish next year's goals and set a follow-up meeting to discuss specifics.